Saturday, March 11, 2017

Bracelet of the Day - Half Tila Herringbone - Matte Blue & Bronze


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • Half Tila beads "Matte Metallic Blue Green Iris" (HT-2064)
  • Half Tila beads "Metallic Matte Dark Bronze" (HT-2006)

I'm still trying to figure out how what length to make these bracelets to fit myself. Once again, this one came out a little too long.

I've tried quite a few different things and have determined that bracelets of this width are kind of limited as to ways to arrange the colors. They work best with either a border along the edges or with vertical stripes. I've avoided making stripes that are only one Half Tila wide because I don't want a candy cane effect. In today's bracelet the stripes are two Half Tilas wide and it's doesn't look too stripey because there isn't a lot of contrast between the two colors that I used. Of course I could use all one color for the whole bracelet but that might be a little boring. On the other hand, that might look nice in all metallic silver or bronze.


Read my original post HERE for links to a free pattern and YouTube video tutorials for making this design.




4 comments:

  1. I love the colors you used in this bracelet! I think it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,
    I love this pattern and can relate with you about following the one YouTube video. It took me lots of stops and starts and reruns to get it. I have made about 5 of these, and I love seeing what the different color combinations look like. I have only made the wider version, with 4 half tilas per row. With the wider version you get a basket weave effect when you alternate colors every row, so it doesn't come across too candy cane-like. I find I like the subtle color differences that just give a bit of interest, such as matte grey with shiny hematite. I am experimenting with a single bead per row to make a simple drop earring and necklace as per some I have seen on Pinterest. Thanks so much for the beading inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb. Maybe I'll give the wider version one more try. I did try doing a basket weave with the two-row version and it doesn't work. I also tried some other color arrangements but there just aren't enough beads to get an effect that looks nice.

      Delete